Monday, March 8, 2010

Pen and Ink

One of the best things about taking an art class is that you have homework! I have to schedule the time and focus on one thing, something that is hard for me to do, especially since I've been retired and the whole WORLD is open to explore. This class uses the Rapidograph technical pen and while I miss the feel of the nib, I don't miss filling it with ink and then waiting for the ink to run out. On the other hand, there is less play with the Rapidograph and the lines are more consistent, which is good if you like that kind of thing. I'm not sure I do. I like messier pen and ink. This drawing is from a photo I took in Nebraska. Rollie found the deer skull on his daily walk and the picture was taken on the deck. I like the organic shapes and am starting to darken the background so that the skull stands out. There are coyotes in the area but also hunters who shoot in spite of signs posted prohibiting hunting. Our neighbor is a bow hunter and that seems more honorable than shooting a gun from a truck as you're passing by.
My instructor is Karen Merry. Another local artist is Kay Harden

No comments: