Saturday, January 8, 2011

Weathering the Storm

Inspired by the Facebook post of Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord, "...and the gift I gave myself--a week of calm and methodical cleaning and sorting in the studio...", I did the same. After months of avoiding my studio, it paid off with this little book I made on Weather. I guess I cannot work in a chaotic place!
Our guild members created many wonderful exchange books with Songs About Weather, Rainbows, Fog, etc. It should be no surprise that the first thing that  came to my mind were the beautiful weather maps, loads of data beautifully displayed, and math symbols. So, I surveyed public weather sites and picked my favorite images. Some of these came from the National Weather Service here on Woodley Island. I like to audition the images by printing the "contact sheet" from Bridge/Photoshop; then I cut them out and move them around so I can decide what to crop and where to place things. All images are sewn onto a specially folded manila folder file (!), the spine is denim sewn to handmade paper.
There are tags for each of the four pockets. The tags are made of semi-logarithmic paper and the backs are local weather graphs.
The tags can be removed exposing more beautiful data!
Don't you just love the NUMBERS! The pencil was an "alteration", sewn on at the last minute over the manila folder tab. So, yes, my studio is clean and I am trying to clean it up after each project. I like being able to find things.

No comments: