Wednesday, August 25, 2010

ABC Book of Machine Embroidery

I don't even know why I started this project. I love fabric, used to sew a lot of my clothes, and have made a few small quilts. I also subscribe to The Quilting Arts Magazine where I find more ideas for surface treatment for the pages of my handcrafted books than I do in magazines about books or paper arts. I frequently visit Lincoln, Nebraska, home of the International Quilt Museum, and I also like to visit small, boutique quilt shops. In one such shop I found a fabulous encyclopedia of machine embroidery, printed in England and featuring those wonderfully creative English textile artists. As a challenge, I decided to create 26 embroidered trading cards representing one letter of the alphabet: A is for applique, B is for bullion stitch, C is for couching stitch, etc. Now, several years later, it occurred to me that I could use these cards to create a fabric accordion book. I'm not finished (I don't know why I thought this would be quick) but here is the progress so far.
I just love this old Bernina, she is a real workhorse. Purchased in 1975 it is my newest of four machines. I have a really old treadle machine of my great-aunt's, a 1928 Singer in a beautiful wooden "coffin" case with every attachment you can imagine, and a 1960's Polish sewing machine used in home economics classes in Palmer High School (Nebraska). I am using the Bernina because it is the only one with drop feed. I am quilting a long strip of my hand dyed fabric which will be used for the front side of the accordion structure.The process is repeated for the back of the structure.
The trading cards are spaced out on the strip and sewn onto the quilted backing.
Letters of the alphabet are then sewn on. OK. G stands for what?
I really like the "V is for vermicelli" stitch. I have finished both sides of the book and will attach the front and back strips along the top, insert buckram in between (creates the rigidity needed for the book) and will machine embroider around all four sides. The valleys and folds will be stitched before folding. I used my pigment-based inkjet printer to print the text on on my hand dyed fabrics, prepared with Bubble Jet 2000. I think I could sew in my sleep.

1 comment:

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

Lovely to see your sewing talents mingling with your book talents. What a neat project--I look forward to seeing the finished book!

(I wonder what it means that a fairly large spider just propelled itself down directly in front of me from the ceiling as I'm typing this. Do you suppose it has lost relatives to a Bernina or a Singer? Or does it just like fabric? Does it care?)