Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Math Book Purse

I couldn't help myself—I made a math book into a purse. One of my favorite college textbooks was Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Erwin Kreyszig; the artwork on the cover looked like it was drawn by hand so I kept the book. Much to the dismay of my husband, also a retired mathematics professor, I cut out the text block and made the book covers into a purse. To make this transition a little easier for him, I lined the purse with fabric with circles and made a little pocket for my circular slide rule, also from my college days. I bought a circular slide rule so that I could carry it in my purse in the 60's; the long slide rules didn't fit.
This photo was taken opening night of Arts Alive. The book arts guild I belong to, North Redwoods Book Arts Guild, was having an exhibition of about 50 handcrafted books at Eureka Books. People loved the book purse but it wasn't for sale as it is truly one-of-a-kind. However,  I have an old Nancy Drew book.....
 

No comments: